Skip to main content

Additional Student Resources

Office of Equity
This is the office that responds to complaints of discrimination / harassment as well as those involving sexual misconduct.

Reports may be made by the person experiencing discrimination / harassment or by someone observing behaviors that involve discrimination / harassment

There is a report form on-line that can be used or people can contact the AAEO office directly (797-1266)

When a report is made the AAEO office will contact the student who is reporting discrimination / harassment.  Students can elect to initiate a formal complaint (see Policy 305 for the process) or they can elect to try to resolve the issue using informal methods (meaning a complaint is not filed immediately and instead the student works with AAEO on possible resolutions; the student could opt for an informal process first and then file a complaint later if the informal process was not working). 

If you were to report discrimination / harassment you observed on behalf of another student, you would not know from AAEO whether the student opted to file a formal complaint or worked to resolve the issue informally.  AAEO cannot share with others what steps they are taking on any specific, individual issue.
In addition to AAEO’s website, more information on the reporting process and student assistance is in the USU catalog (
Office of Student Conduct
This is the office that responds to reports of student code violations, including those related to conduct as well as academic integrity.
The list of University Standards of Student Conduct is quite long and detailed so please take a look at this directly if you have questions on what is covered under this
There are reporting forms on the office’s website and the list of forms includes those on the AAEO website as well as additional forms on conduct violations, students of concern, and academic integrity
USU Department of Public Safety
You can find information here on police services, reporting a crime, and the Clery Report (the annual campus security and fire safety report)
General Academic Concerns - message from the Department Head
If students have program/academic concerns (e.g., concerns about courses, supervisors, etc.) there are several options students can pursue:

There is a formal grievance process outlined in the student code that students can follow but there are also a variety of informal actions a student can take.  Within the department students can talk with their advisor, another faculty member, or me if they have concerns that they may not have been able to resolve or just want some feedback on what is possible.  If students do want to file a grievance, the first step (after trying to resolve the issue directly) would be to talk to me.  If students are uncomfortable talking with me they could go to Shelley Lindauer (the Associate Dean for Graduate Education in our college) or Richard Inouye (the Associate Dean of the graduate school).  I often get students (undergraduate and graduate) who talk to me regarding concerns they have with classes, faculty, and other students.  When students come talk to me, depending on the issue, I will offer to talk to the person they are having problems with – sometimes students don’t want me to do this because they know it will identify them and they are not ready to be identified.  In those situations, I work with the student to see if there are things that can be done more informally or with a general expression of concern that would not identify the student.  Sometimes this is possible and sometimes this is not.  But, except in cases where I would have to report (e.g., allegations of sexual misconduct) I follow the student’s lead on what he/she wants disclosed.  If students do want to file a grievance, I do have to reach out to the person the student is grieving about. 
For students who are struggling with an academic aspect of their program (e.g., received a poor grade in a class, failed comps) and worry about being dismissed, it is important to understand that there is a process for dismissal.  The department cannot dismiss students – only the Graduate School (on behalf of the university) can do this.  If a student is not meeting stated program expectations, the department would recommend to the graduate school that the student be dismissed (this usually follows a time during which remediation has been attempted).  The student would have an opportunity to appeal if the student believes the recommendation is not consistent with program policies or in some way is arbitrary (e.g., other students were able to continue in the program under similar circumstances).  Often students who face challenges in completing program requirements will elect to withdraw rather than be dismissed.  In addition, sometimes students leave for personal reasons or lack of fit with the programs here.  Students who opt to withdraw, do so through the graduate school.